Thursday, July 29, 2010

Any advise for a 22yr. old female about to start work in Office full of 30 yr old & up females for the1st time

Do's, Dont's and dress code, etcAny advise for a 22yr. old female about to start work in Office full of 30 yr old %26amp; up females for the1st time
Dress conservative, no exposed body piercing or tattoos. Keep smiling, maintain a positive attitude, even on bad days. limit negative verbal expressions. Find ways to make the job fun.





Good luck.Any advise for a 22yr. old female about to start work in Office full of 30 yr old %26amp; up females for the1st time
I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. Get to know them first and take it from there. don't allow yourself to be pulled into office politics from day one. These women are older so supposedly more mature. You'll have the usual office gossip but as I said don't get sucked in. Feel the ground first and keep comments to a minimum till you get to know them better. As for dress code keep your outfits smart and conservative. Don't go for too much jewelry or perfume. See what they are wearing to the office and follow their lead. Good luck!
Probably the best advice is to try not to get into the ';gossip ring.'; Offices like that are full of ladies just gossiping about everyone else. This can seriously get you into trouble, so just try to keep away from the big gossip queens.
Do they know your age? Don't be conscious about age and just be professional in everything. When you are employee, that is what everyone will want to look at you as. Certainly stay away from gossip, dress well (and well-covered) always be punctual and come everyday no matter what. This will help develop tremendous ';trust'; in you from other employees. Be nice to everyone no matter what.





Goodluck, you'll be great, don't worry.
Everything that was said before applies but one thing, don't let them push your buttons or allow them to have anything that would give them something to gossip about or possibly mention to the boss.


If your boss is wise then he/she understands that. The best thing is dress conservatively almost dowdy. Keep the miniskirts, short tops and spike heels for outside the office.


Keep your head down below the radar, don't get into the gossip group but try to keep your ear to the grapevine without passing gossip on or believing everything you hear.


Remember that they consider you competition in many ways so if you can give an outward appearance of not being competition for them then they will not give you too many problems.


Oh, one thing, I know of many women that get a cheap wedding ring and wear it in the office to keep the men off and women do not consider married women as competition.


If anyone specifically asks and knows you are not married then say it is a family heirloom.


Believe me there is a lot of sexual politics going on in offices and the best way is to stay out of is.
Before I answer your question let me describe my background and where my point of view is coming from. Last February, at the ripe ol' age of 22, I was given the opportunity to work in B2B sales for my mentor. I am the only one here to my knowledge without a degree. (I graduate next year!!!) The number one thing that I has led to my success here I did in the first couple months.





Stay out of negative conversations/situations. If this is your first time in an office; you may not be familiar with office politics. When someone approaches you for your opinion on a potentially negative topic be sure to stay on the fence. I do not mean do not have an opinion. Just be mindful of the fact that anything you say will more than likely be echoed throughout the organization. (Think of the telephone game that you played in school when you were little, some concept)





I think you will be surprised however with your co-workers. A lot of my co-workers are quite playful concerning my age. They will give me a hard time cause ';I'm too young to know about this and that'; and I return the favor sayting things like, '' Did you drink your Ensure lastnight?';





***Obviously, I had to build rapport with each of them before I said things like my Ensure comment.





Try to learn everything you can from them and DO NOT EVER pretend like you are better or be short with them. Because of your age they will hold a different set of standards.





Other than that, you are very lucky to have this opportunity and I hope it works out as well for you as it has for myself!





Best of Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment