Thursday, July 29, 2010

Backpacking through europe? Who has done this? Any advise?

I am thinking about backpacking through Europe. There are so many places to see and go. Best place to fly into from us? What are your suggestions?Backpacking through europe? Who has done this? Any advise?
Probably the best place to fly into is London. You may be albe to get some cheaper flights to some other centres if you are on the lookout. I can give you a website that has some good options for flying within europe...( it has others but for europe its better)....you may find...you can get some cheap flights between centres and you can fly cheaper than you would by train or bus......





I agree about how overwhelming it is to actually chose where to go! I literally felt like a kid in a candy shop! It would depend on how long you are there for to be honest and how mch money you have.


I spent around 2 weeks in Italy and saw Verona, Venice ( 2 nights), Montepulciano, Rome ( 3 nights), Florence ( 3 nights) and Bologna. I can recommend all these places as well, but this gives you an estimation of the time needed...some places I was cutting it a bit fine on time due to the travel needed to get there.


Some cities need time to explore....Paris I spent 5 days easily there and could have spent longer!


I would list the countries/places that you REALLY want to see, and try and work out a fesible route.


The thing is there are places to see that you don't know about yet, for example Prague, Croatia and Slovenia were not on my list, but they rate up there as my favourite places! When I go back for more I want to go further east to places like Poland, Romania and Hungary and I enjoyed my time i nthe other places.





Accommodation will be your biggest expense so try looking in hostel websites eg www.hostels.com, www.hostelworld.com, www.hostelz.com, www.hostelbookers.com ...some places will be more expensive than others....and the time of year will also affact it. Get yourself a vague plan and then ask for more opionions.Backpacking through europe? Who has done this? Any advise?
The whole backpacking through Europe experience has changed significantly over the years, especially since 9/11, but I still highly recommend it. From the U.S., it is usually cheapest to fly into London and go from there. This is also convenient as they speak English, and it will be easier to deal with any problems. Buy a Rail Pass, and go where your heart takes you. Stay in Hostels, and meet the most amazing people you will ever know. Eat things you have never heard of, and accidentally discover things that are not on any list of tourist attractions. Get lost at least once, and accept the hospitality and kindness of strangers. Go with a friend you share your opinions and views with, but never a group, as this makes it harder to experience the local culture. Have fun, and don't sweat it if you don't see everything on your list, the Eiffel Tower will still be there when you go back again.
I'm going this Summer





Route is as follows





Fly from Dublin to Amsterdam


%26gt;Berlin


%26gt;Prague


%26gt;Krakow


%26gt;Budapest


%26gt;Sarajevo


%26gt;Ljubljana


%26gt;Croatian Coast


%26gt;fly home form Zadar, Croatia

No comments:

Post a Comment