Thursday, July 29, 2010

If you are a smoker, how do you advise your kids not to smoke?

The only way to advise your kids not to smoke would be to stop smoking yourself. Lead by example!!!!! You cannot tell someone to not do something, when you yourself are doing it.If you are a smoker, how do you advise your kids not to smoke?
I was the child of a smoker and he said it was bad for me, but when he caught me doing it too, he said he couldn't punish me for something he did too. So when I had kids, I quit smoking. I didn't want to be a hypocrite. That is one of the things that keeps me smoke free. How can I tell them not to do it because it's why they don't have a grandpa (yes my father died of lung cancer 5 years ago) and then light up in front of them. To me it would be a cruel thing to do to them.If you are a smoker, how do you advise your kids not to smoke?
I didn't smoke in the house or around my children. I taught them that many things that are harmful and that they have a choice to make every time they do something. Driving a car in an irresponsible matter. Drinking too much. Overeating, stealing, not respecting others. Not too much I could do to force them to do anything, just try and teach them to make good decisions for themselves. One of my children chooses to smoke, one chooses not to, they are both responsible adults. I enjoy smoking, some people enjoy racing cars, climbing mountains, sky diving, and other dangerous activities.





COME ON PEOPLE... The are a lot of things parents can do that the children can't....are you gonna stop having sex with your spouse because you don't want your 12 year old having sex?...We earn the right to make our own decisions at 18 yo until then our parent make the rules for us.
I'm NOT A SMOKER- *gross*





But when a parent smokes most likely the kids will too. So sad.





Parents need to choose their kids over a stupid cigarette!
Very carefully, because you don't want to be a hyprocite but you can explain all the health problems that it has brought you and how weak you are to quit, but ultimately it will be their choice to go through it on their own, or just watch more carefully what it has done to someone they love.
It is difficult to explain the symptoms of addiction to an adult. I would keep it simple and say '; SMOKE AND DIE ';!!!!
I have told them that I'm trying to cut back and I never smoke around my kids. I explain to them that it's a nasty addiction that I wish I had never started.
Forget it. That persons actions would be speaking so loudly that they could not hear a word that was said............
I would say, ';Hey kids look at me, my breath stinks and my teeth are yellow and nasty, and eventually my doctor will find a small growth in my lungs that will require me to have Chemo for weeks on end... but the upside is I'll make sure I'll leave a juicy life insurance policy out on myself when I'm dead.';





I hate to give you all this sarcasm; but in all honestly you gotta tell them to not travel down the road you've traveled. Tell them all the negative things that has happened to you due to your smoking, they'll understand.
STOP SMOKING YOURSELF. THEN EXPLAIN TO THEM HOW HARD IT IS TO STOP. IF YOU REALLY WANT YOUR KIDS TO STOP SMOKING YOU HAVE TO STOP YOURSELF FIRST CAUSE WHEN THEY YOU DOING IT THEY WILL JUST KEEP ON DOING IT AND WHEN YOU TRY TO CALL THEM OUT THEY WILL JUST THINK YOU ARE HYPROCRITICAL. IF YOU REALLY LOVE YOUR CHILDREN YOU WILL STOP FOR THEM CAUSE U KNOW THEY HARM SMOKING CAN DO. IF YOU TELL THEM THAT SMOKING IS BAD AND YOU ARE DOING IT YOURSELF THEY THINK IT IS OKAY





WHEN I WAS YOUNGER MY MOM SMOKED AND TRYED TO TELL ME SMOKING WAS BAD. iT JUST MADE ME FEEL LIKE THAT SMOKING CANNOT BE THA BAD IF SHE IS DOING IT. NOW I AM A 19 YEAR OLD SMOKER ADDICT AND I AM TRYING MY BEST TO STOP.
QUIT SMOKING and be a good example to them....it's your JOB as a PARENT. Talk to them about WHY you gave up something you liked, but was not GOOD FOR YOU....Let them know that you CARE ENOUGH ABOUT YOURSELF to do something that is hard for you, because it is preserving your health, you smell much better, the house will smell better, you won't be polluting everyone else's lungs in the house and car and you will finally have money to take the kids to the show, instead of spending it on cigarettes......that should get the message across. Good Luck and God Bless...
Let them watch you die from it?
You stop being a hypocrite, put the smokes down, and tell them it was the best decision of your life. Plain and simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment