Monday, August 23, 2010

Any boy scouts out there that can help me with some advise from how it works in YOUR troop?

I'm the SPL of my troop. We had a rough year before I was elected, with an equally bad SPL. Now, things are starting to look better, and the troop is gaining some of it's stability (We've been in service since 1965, so failure is not an option) and things are going good. Sounds like everyone's happy, right? Well, yes, everyone except for me. I have litterally had to work until I dropped to make sure I don't blow it. I generally spend at least 5 hours a week just doing things that doesn't even have to do with the meeting. Now, heres the real problem: We might have elections coming up soon. In this case, I would be replaced by someone who isn't going to do NEARLY as good as I have. I know this one person is going to win because he knows all the younger kids, who make up most oft the troop (therefore he'd get the most votes) So, should I continue to have elections and be replaced and watch the troop fall, yet be happy, or face my pain and continue for another SIX months?Any boy scouts out there that can help me with some advise from how it works in YOUR troop?
Of course you have the election if that is how your Patrol is run. The idea of electing a new SPL is to give everyone a chance to experience the position and what it entails. Express your concerns with your troop leader that you are concerned that all the hard work you have put in may go to waste and maybe he will take an interest in making sure the new SPL is up to the task.





Oh, and the extra work is the SPL's job. Thats what you are signing up for when you try to obtain the post. However, I believe that you are probably exaggerating a little about the work until I dropped part. And if thats the case then its best to pass the torch before you get burned out.Any boy scouts out there that can help me with some advise from how it works in YOUR troop?
Request a Scoutmaster Conference and talk it over with your Scoutmaster. He can help you do the right thing.


It is true that everyone has to work at a leadership position in order to advance in rank. You don't mention what your rank is currently but you need to experience all of the leadership positions as well. True your successor may not do as well as you have, you sound very dedicated, but it could help him develop the character and leadership abilities that Scouting is about.


My son is SPL of a troop founded in 1935 which 3 years ago was about to fold due to lack of members and a Scoutmaster. My husband stepped in as Scoutmaster and with my son's help has started the long process of rebuilding the troop. It takes more than 6 months to cause a troop to fail so quit worrying so much. I have put your question to my son and he is thinking about how he would handle your problem. He is a Life Scout that has been under bad SPL's before in another troop which he learned what not to do from. He is working to set a good example for the younger scouts in the troop which in turn will pay off with good leaders in the future.


Another point, get to know every scout in your troop. That is probably the most important thing you can do as SPL. You are a role model for them as well as the Cub Scouts below you so make a point to talk to them, help them, and who knows, you may find you have a knack for helping others.


Remember the Scout Oath and Law. Apply them to your situation and you won't go wrong with your choice.
Honestly have fun go out places camp do service projects that are fun and teach them This really get the young scouts Scout 101 you go out for aobut 3 days 2 nights and do all the requirments up to second and soem the easy first class ones get the older scouts to gather round and plan who does what and teach have schedules and mini patrols for the kids and have awrds forbest mini patrol at the end
do it for the kids man... if you think you are doing and would do a better job stick it out and fight for the kids.
face your pain son, it builds character.
  • cosmetics
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment