Sunday, August 22, 2010

What is the law related to credit card debt...does someone else assume it? Need legal advise on this...?

Problem. After my father passed away several years ago, I got credit cards using his ss#. Yes, it was wrong but now I'm having problems paying off the balance. I have never missed a payment, nor have I really been able to charge as I've been maxed for a long time. It's putting me in bad financial worries. They gave me high credit limits too.





Question: If I advise the credit card company that my father has passed (which he has), but not tell them what I did (because I can't assume that debt).....what happens to that debt? Will they find out about the real date of my fathers passing and come after me legally?





The worry of the financial problems I've created, combined with the legal worries....just too much for me to handle and I need help, advise or suggestions.What is the law related to credit card debt...does someone else assume it? Need legal advise on this...?
First of all you have committed a crime of fraud. If you tell your creditor your father had passed away, they would definitely find out what date he passed away and you would eventually be charged with a criminal offense. There is no need to consult a lawyer, because he won't be able to help you to get out of it.





The best you could do is to contact a credit counselor. A credit counselor can help you to negotiate a debt settlement; mostly likely an interest free debt repayment. If this won't work for you, then your last chance is to contact a lawyer.What is the law related to credit card debt...does someone else assume it? Need legal advise on this...?
If they find out what you did, they will charge you with fraud which could end you up in jail. Try to pay it off ASAP.
Basically you have committed fraud and the card company may work something out with you. You may want to consider talking to a lawyer and get some advice.
If you tell them that he has passed they will look into it and see the credit cards were still being used by someone other than him (FRAUD). They will come after you legally. That is one path you definately will not want to travel. Cut them up and pay them off with whatever money you have. There really is no other option.
From past experience the credit card company wont beleive that your father has past until they see proof. IE a death certificate. When they realize that he past before the cards were opened they will open a fraud file and eventually you will be brought into court.
They will find out because you have to send a certified copy of the death certificate. Your best bet is to contact an attorney. You are liable for the debts. If you try to declare bankruptcy you may be charged with a crime.
You are a horrible, selfish person, and I really hope bad things happen to you for doing this.

No comments:

Post a Comment